Porcelain veneers or crowns? That is the question. The dental industry has advanced substantially over the past few decades. Patients now have many options that they can take to correct, beautify, and make their smiles healthier. We understand that our patients aren’t dental experts by any means. Therefore, it takes guidance and education to help any patient weigh their options and find the best solution for them. Today we’ll break down the difference between porcelain veneers and crowns.
CHECK OUT OUR SMILE GALLERY FOR MORE AMAZING TRANSFORMATIONS!!!
The Difference Between Porcelain Veneers Vs. Crowns
- Veneers are thin, custom-made shells designed to cover the front of your teeth.
- They are used to fix spaces between teeth, repair teeth that are chipped or worn, permanently stained, poorly shaped, or slightly crooked.
- They are primarily reserved for the front teeth as the thin material cannot handle the heavy chewing as our back teeth can.
- Require minimal and in some cases no reduction of tooth structure.
- Primary for cosmetic purposes, not as strong as crowns, and not recommended for patients with heavy grinding habits.
- Great for mishappen teeth, small chips, and aesthetic purposes.
- Require more porcelain, are larger than veneers, and cover most of the tooth.
- Require increased reduction of tooth structure to fabricate.
- They enhance not only a tooth’s appearance, but its structure as well, and dentists commonly use them after a root canal.
- Similar aesthetics to veneers but stronger and can be used in a wider variety of cases.
- Better suited for teeth with the largest existing fillings, larger cracks, or fractures.
- Porcelain veneers and crowns are very similar in that we customize them to match with the rest of your teeth so that they blend in very well.
Which Option is More Durable?
Crowns are typically a more durable option. However, this is truly case dependent. Each material must be selected based on the patient’s needs and bite relationships. Our experts will guide you to either option and ensure that we achieve the longest-lasting result possible. The same aesthetics can be achieved with either material.
A Final Word on Making an Excellent Decision
If you have chipped or broken teeth, you need to see us right away. Our top dentists will evaluate the severity of the damage. We can assess your condition and help you find an option that best fits your needs. Most patients only feel mild discomfort, thanks to our use of sedation.
Are you ready to improve your dental health? Then, say no more. Come to one of the top dentist’s offices in Montgomery County.
Do You Need Porcelain Veneers or Crowns? Then, Smile Designs of Olney Won’t Let You Down
For your smile makeover or any other dental needs, come to Smile Designs of Olney! Book an appointment with us. Whether you want your teeth whitened, straightened, or restored altogether, we pride ourselves in quality patient care and giving you the smile makeover that you deserve. Our small, professional staff will make you feel right at home. We service the Montgomery County regions including Olney, Laytonsville, Brookville, Silver Spring, Rockville, Columbia, Bethesda, Chevy Chase, and Germantown, MD. Contact us at (301) 260-0700, visit us online, and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Youtube.